According to the Wall Street Journal (April 18, 2011), the Kosher market is worth $12.5 billion per year. The Organized Kashrut Laboratories (Brooklyn), listed as a non-profit organization, has rabbis in China, Japan, India, Israel and Belgium who certify nearly 500,000 products from about 3,000 companies. Its clients pay from $2,000 to tens of thousands of dollars annually.
Not all the Jews, who make less than 2% of US population, consume kosher products. Therefore, obviously, the remaining 98% of American population is forced to chip-in to this Madoff-style scam. A certain portion of the money earned from this kosher racket, like the Save Darfur racket, ends up in helping Jewish occupation of Palestine. But to admit it in public, is an act of ‘anti-Semitism’ according to ADL (watch a video below).
Professor David Ellenson (Hebrew Union College), says: “It is the business story of our time, a clear description of how our business world has and economy have changed. It is the story of big winning out over little: whether we are talking about automobiles, banks, airlines, book stores, electronics companies, clothing manufacturers, hardware stores, even funeral homes and cemeteries. It is the story of Wal-Mart’s success and the success of Microsoft and The Home Depot. It is the economic story of our time”.
Members of Muslim minorities in foreign countries – are allowed to consume kosher foods only if Halal food is not available. However, kosher and Halal are not identical in the real sense.
Following Abrahamic traditions – Islam, too, forbids eating meat of an animal not slaughtered according to the Prophetic traditions, known as Halal. However, unlike rabbanic permission – all adult male Muslims are allowed to slaughter animals for human consumption and as the ‘symbolic’ sacrifice during the Hajj in Makkah. Fish is considered Halal and doesn’t need Islamic ritual slaughtering. Other Hall foods include are fresh fruits; fresh vegetables; yogurt; nuts; rice; corn; pasta; eggs; herb and spices; cheese and dairy products and beans. Any food containing products derived from pork, such as bacon and sausage; alcohol; or non-Halal animal fats are forbidden for the Believers. Hunting animals as a game is forbidden in Islam.
“Forbidden to you are: dead meat, the flesh of swine, and that on which has been invoked the name of other than Allah, that which has been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death, that which has been partly eaten by a wild animal, unless you are able to slaughter it.” (Holy Qur’an, 5.3).